Saturday, November 15, 2008

Final4 Pick2: (No Less Funny Than Caddyshack2)

(Once again my borderline ludicrous strategy is to pick the “home team” though they may not even end up being in that region.)

PHOENIX REGIONAL –

Arizona State is in Phoenix. Arizona State just missed the Final 4 last year. Arizona State is projected to have a great season. Arizona State is featured on the cover of this week’s Sports Illustrated. So clearly I’m going with – UCLA. Duh.

Before I explain, I’d like you to know that my 6 year-old daughter prefers the Wildcats. I tried to explain to her that University of Arizona’s hoop program is a mess… She then said, “Dad, I’m not talking about the Wildcats of Arizona, I’m talking about the Wildcats of High School Musical. Duh.” God help me.

The reasons I’m passing on the Sun Devils are:

(1) That Final 4 they just missed out on last year was in the NIT. They haven’t been to the Big Dance in over 5 years. I personally haven’t been dancing in 7 years – the greatest accomplishment of my married life.

(2) They were merely featured on one of SI’s six regional covers. It always disappoints me when the Bible of sports magazines denigrates the sanctity of its cover by going with multiple versions just for marketing purposes. That said, if anyone can find an advertiser for this blog I’d trade both my kids in a heartbeat.

(3) ASU’s football team was also projected as a championship contender and they stink. If you were to ask me what the football team’s lack of success has to do with the hoop team, I would respond that I was hoping that you wouldn’t ask that.

Honesty, I really wish I had the stones to pick Arizona State. I’ve actually been to the campus and it was beautiful. It was also filled with stunningly gorgeous women. Then again I was 19 years old at the time. You could fill a morgue with stunningly gorgeous women and a 19 year old would find the place beautiful. Especially one as hard up as I was. If the amount of babes on campus is really going to be a factor in this decision, then I’m probably okay with UCLA. Good chance there’re a couple decent looking co-eds there too.

Now I know that UCLA fans are saddened that they lost “The Love” when Kevin Love turned pro, but they do have Josh Shipp. I think he could help “bring back that lovin’ feeling”. Especially if he makes a slight addition to his moniker and goes by Josh Shipp-The Love Boat. All right, maybe not.

More importantly they have the #1 point guard in Darren Collison and for my money the best coach in the biz, Ben Howland. They have also been to the “real” Final 4 the last three years. Part of me is hoping that they make it and lose again so that my beloved Buffalo Bills might no longer be considered the standard for championship futility. That might make sense were it not for a little thing called history & UCLA’s 11 prior championships. Yeah, I’d say they’re a long way from becoming the new Bills. My Pick: UCLA.

As an aside, I’d like to note that one of my 5 “followers” resides in Phoenix. You too can be a follower of DaveBarendsCollegeHoopHumor. I’d say it’d be a nice way to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Jim Jones and his followers. Feel free to bring your own Kool Aid.

2 comments:

Carty said...

From your AZ follower - Trust me, this was at least if not funnier than Caddyshack 2. I laughed at that movie once - when Randy Quaid checks the guy on the hockey themed putting green. I swear that is the worst movie I've ever seen.

Hoov said...

Hail to the Victors!!!