Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Rankings and Irrelevant Comments (Take 1)

Here’s my first crack at ranking the Top 10 teams with a listing of the best wins, worst losses and my irrelevant comments. There’s also some overrated and underrated teams listed below.

TOP 10
1.North Carolina (8-0)
Best wins: Michigan State and Notre Dame

My Irrelevant Comment:
Note to my dad: the player’s name is Hansbrough. The toy company’s name is Hasbro.

2.Oklahoma (8-0)
Best Wins: Purdue and Davidson

My Irrelevant Comment:
Oklahoma could pull off the seemingly impossible by winning the football championship and the basketball championship. A feat that hasn’t been accomplished in wow it’s got to be – 2 years.

3.Gonzaga (6-0)
Best Wins: Maryland and Tennessee

My Irrelevant Comment:
If Coach Mark Few is ever incapacitated, the Zags could always use Fish from Ally McBeal a double. He’s a dead ringer. Yes, I realize that I have both dated myself and implicated my masculinity by admitting that I’ve watched Ally McBeal.

4.Xavier (7-0)
Best Wins: Memphis and Virginia Tech

My Irrelevant Comment: It’s pronounced “Zavier” not “Ex-avier.” Other hoop blogs give you insightful stats. Here you get enunciation tips. Sad but true.

5.Pitt (9-0)
Best wins: Texas Tech & Belmont

My Irrelevant Comment: How can Texas Tech and Belmont qualify as ”best wins”? When the other wins were against powerhouses such as Akron and IUPUI, that’s how.

6.UConn
Best Wins: Miami and at Wisconsin

My Irrelevant Comment: The AP and Coaches Polls both have the Huskies #2. Come on. They almost lost to Buffalo. Bet you didn’t even know Buffalo had a team. They’re the Buffalo Bulls - mimicing the alliteration of that other stellar team from the same city, the Buffalo Bills.

7. Wake Forest (8-0)
Best Wins; Baylor and UTEP

My Irrelevant Comment: You got to believe the folks at Wake Forest are happy that they chose Demon Deacons as the nickname way back when. Their other option was the Predatory Priests.

8.Texas (7-1)
Best Wins: UCLA, Oregon, & Villanova
Worst loss: Notre Dame

My Irrelevant Comment: The Texas band, with their frilly fringe filled cowboy shirts and wussy white hats, just might have been the inspiration for Brokeback Mountain.

9.Duke (8-1)
Best Wins: Southern Illinois, Michigan, & Purdue
Worst Loss: Michigan

My Irrelevant Comment: I used to hate Duke. Then everybody started hating Duke. Torn between my desire to hate and my desire for originality I went with originality. So now I don’t hate Duke. But I’m worried that everyone will soon hate Notre Dame.

10.Tennessee (6-1)
Best Win: Georgetown
Worst Loss: Gonzaga

My Irrelevant Comment: Coach Bruce Pearl is in relatively decent shape, has a full head of hair and is always happy. Thank God he sweats like a pig otherwise you wouldn’t know he’s a coach.

MOST OVERRATED TEAM

UCLA- Yes, this is the same team that I picked to win it all. They are currently ranked #14 by the Coaches and that’s really too high for a team that has lost to Texas and Michigan. I picked them based on potential. Sadly, potential is a euphemism. It’s just a nice way of saying you ain’t as good as you should be.

Other Opinions
Pat Hurley: Notre Dame: “because (1) they suck ass and always will, and (2) they scheduled an opponent called ‘South Carolina Upstate.’"

Ken Robbins: Not Davidson: “Well I was going to say that Davidson is over-rated but clearly that kid can shoot the round ball all damn day......WVU just couldn't cover the lil'guy!”

MOST UNDERRATED TEAM

Cincinnati (6-1). This team has wins over UAB and UNLV and a tough loss to a decent Florida State squad yet they didn’t get one vote from the AP or the Coaches. Their 7’2” frosh, Johnny Riek goes by Dr. Fever. Oh, all right, no he doesn’t. But how could I mention Cincinnati without a WKRP reference?

Other opinions
Pat Hurley: North Carolina: “UNC is most underrated because, even though they're #1 in both polls unanimously, the votes weren't as enthusiastic as they should have been.”

Ken Robbins: George Mason: “George Mason is # 1 in the Colonial Athletic division with a big game coming up vs. Tulane.” [Ken is a Mason grad who was in a museum in Chicago when his alma mater beat UConn to get to the Final 4.]

Keith Mangas: St. Bonaventure: “Clearly, my Brown and White should get some type of mention. Andrew Nicholson, true frosh, already a 3 x A-10 rookie of the week.”

Mark Hoover: One word – wolverines [Unclear whether Mark is referring to Michigan or quoting the cult classic Red Dawn.]

Thanks for the input guys. If by chance anyone else wants to submit an overrated or underrated team of the week just send an email to DaveBarend@yahoo.com by Tuesday night and it’ll be up on Wednesday.

Take it easy,
Dave

4 comments:

Thom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Thom said...

and no...i didn't miss the SS in the next time you wrote the team's name.

Dave said...

Yes I'm pathetically leaving a comment on my own blog. But I feel compelled to explain why the first comment is now deleted.

My sister's boyfriend Thom decided to post what he humorously labeled his "relevant comment" that noted that I had spelled Forest (as in Wake Forest) with 2 Rs. As you can see from his next comment I apparently later spelled Forest with 2 Ss.

So I tried to leave a witty response. Upon review I determined my response had everything I wanted except for the wit. I decided to delete. Somehow I deleted Thom's comment instead. So clearly I need to get a little better at the ins and outs of this bloging thing. And learning how to use the spell check would probably be a good idea too.

Take it easy,
Dave

Thom said...

umm...yeah...and bloging is spelled blogGing. and i'm sure no one else is reading these comments besides you.