Thursday, January 15, 2009

Rankings, Irrelevant Comments & More (Take 6)

I feel it’s my duty to preface this set of Rankings & Irrelevant Comments by informing you that Selection Sunday is in a mere 2 months. Let the countdown begin.

RANKINGS
1.Pitt (16-0)
Best wins: Washington St., Florida State, at Georgetown

My Irrelevant Comment: The city of Pittsburgh has a new slogan: “It may feel like it and it may look like it, but we assure you, you’re not in Detroit.”

2.Wake Forest (14-0)
Best Wins; Baylor, BYU, UNC

My Irrelevant Comment:
Wake Forest University claims it fosters individuality. Wonder if the folks in charge have ever been to a hoops game. For years all the students have been sitting in the same section, wearing the same black and yellow t-shirts, and doing the same chants. That seems like individuality as defined by David Koresh.

3.UConn (14-1)
Best Wins: Miami, at Wisconsin, at Gonzaga, West Virginia
Losses: Georgetown

My Irrelevant Comment: When you hear Coach Calhoun yell at Jeff Adrien, do you think he’s honestly upset with the kid? I bet he’s just a huge Rocky fan and likes re-enacting the last scene: “Adrien! Adrien!”

4. Duke (15-1)
Best Wins: Michigan, Purdue, & Xavier
Loss: Michigan

My Irrelevant Comment: Duke was established with profits from tobacco sales. So wouldn’t it make more sense if the team replaced the Nike swoosh that adorns all of its jerseys with something more appropriate? Like Joe Camel. Yeah, the school probably doesn’t want to promote its ties to cigarette companies. It’s much more comfortable displaying its connection to Indonesian sweatshops.

5.Oklahoma (16-1)
Best Wins: Purdue, Davidson, Utah, Texas
Loss at Arkansas

My Irrelevant Comment:
I still don’t get that “Boomer-Sooner” chant. It has, however, got me trying to figure out who is my favorite Boomer. I was going to go with George “Boomer” Scott, but he was nudged out by Boomer from Battlestar Gallactica. No, not from the show that’s currently on Sci-Fi. No, not from the 2003 mini-series. I’m talking about the TV series that ran from 1978 to – Oh forget it. Somebody get me some Geritol.

6.North Carolina (14-2)
Best wins: Michigan State and Notre Dame
Loss: Boston College, Wake Forest

My Irrelevant Comment: I heard an announcer say that Tyler Hansbrough wouldn’t be nearly as good if you took away his elbows. Hard to disagree with that. Cause if you took away his elbows he wouldn’t have much left for arms.

7.Clemson (14-0)
Best Wins: at Illinois, at Miami, Alabama

My Irrelevant Comment:
Clemson claims they are underrated. Maybe so. But it makes up for the fact that they are substantially overrated academically. Now, I have no idea where the school is ranked by US News or the Princeton Review, but come on, it’s Clemson. No matter where it’s ranked it’s too high.

8. UCLA (13-2)
Best Wins: Southern Illinois, at Oregon
Losses: Michigan, Texas

My Irrelevant Comment: UCLA has a version of its jersey that has the “C” emblazoned in a brighter color than the other 3 letters. I guess the school pulls those out when it fears its opponent might not realize that LA is in California. I think they’re primarily worn for games against Clemson

9 Georgetown (12-3)
Best Wins: Memphis, at UConn, Syracuse
Losses: Tennessee, Pitt, at Notre Dame

My Irrelevant Comment
During Wednesday night’s Georgetown-Syracuse game, SU Coach Jim Boeheim looked a lot like Rodin’s The Thinker. Though, unlike Boeheim, I’d bet The Thinker was actually thinking.

10. Michigan State (14-2)
Best Wins: Texas, Minn., Ohio St., Kansas
Losses: Maryland, UNC

My Irrelevant Comment: Though I’m sure Tom Izzo’s wife is a fine lady, I’m rooting for the two to split and for him to end up with Stockard Channing. My reason – if she reprised her role from Grease she’d be Rizzo Izzo. And if she got her own sitcom it could be called the Rizzo Izzo Show. And if . . Please make me stop.

MOST OVERRATED TEAM

Notre Dame
This team just lost to Louisville who was last week’s most overrated team. I hear a lot of experts saying that they look at Luke Harangody and see a top notch pro in 5 years. I don’t know about that. I’ve taken a long hard look at Harangody and in 5 years I see – Brian Dennehy.

Other Opinions

John Cusanno
Memphis: I'm not sure why, but I always seem annoyed to see Memphis do well, even though their coach is a paison.

Rick Condon
Notre Dame: Overrated - yup - Notre Dog (notice the undeniable evidence that this emailer has read the damn blog) ... see, I was recently driving from Boston to D.C. with the family and as were passing through VP-elect Joe "plugs" Biden's very own Delaware, my wife told the kids that old saying of What did Dela wear? Idaho. Alaska. A New Jersey ... so stay with me ... made me think of Mr. former Blue Hens himself - that's right, Mike Brey, and his awful mock turtleneck look that he just won't kill. Why does he insist on this look? Idaho. Alaskhim. He needs a New Jersey (in addition to an actual tough road win) soon. [It should be noted that Rick is a 1990 ND grad. Uh, unless Rick didn’t want me to mention that.]

Ken Robbins
North Carolina - Are you a UNC fan [and most of you are] ..... if so hey how'd you like that Wake Forest game?!? Most overrated - that would be all of the UNC coaches this decade!!

John Cusanno #2
St. Bonaventure: Why the f*** can't the Bonnies win at home anymore?

MOST UNDERRATED TEAM

Kentucky
52 teams got votes from either the AP or the Coaches and not one of those was the 13-4 Kentucky Wildcats. They just throttled Tennessee at Tennessee. Junior Jodie Meeks scored a record breaking 54 points in that game. He definitely has some cojones. With a name like Jodie Meeks, he kind of has to. He has a girl’s first name and his last name is
well, meek.

UPSET OF THE WEEK

Miami at UNC - Saturday
I’m going with the Hurricanes. Why? Let’s see. BC beat UNC. And Miami beat BC. I’m pretty sure there’s some logical syllogism that supports my pick. I also like the fact that Miami refuses to be called Miami-Florida. They’re essentially telling the folks at Miami-Ohio – “Go rent some creativity and get your own damn name.”

Other Opinions:

Jim Collins
(What a rough week. I couldn't pick anything. I don't want to be remembered as a one hit wonder. I am not Tommy Tutone)
1.Louisville upends Pittsburgh on 1/17/2009. - I am going for a Bomb this week.
2.Duke NCAA Tourney Champ - Mitch Ryder and Detroit Wheels had a hit song in the 60's Devil with the Blue Dress on. Duke Blue Devils win it all. You heard it here first.
3. College Hockey special pick just for Dave- Niagara sweeps 2 game series against Quinnipiac this weekend.


If you’d like to contribute to next Thursday’s post with your comments on the most overrated/underrated team or with an upset pick just email me by Wednesday night at DaveBarend@yahoo.com. Rant#10 coming Monday.

Take it easy,
Dave

2 comments:

Mike said...

Really really like this blog, one of the better ones pertaining to college sports on the net right now (trust me, I've seen them all I think). Regarding #5, thankfully you didn't say your favorite Boomer was Chris Berman. I got a little worried you'd throw that in at the end just to mess with readers.

We're looking for humorous college sports bloggers at www.collegefanz.com, the largest NCAA/NAIA site on the net. I think your blog would gain a good following there, as we have a huge audience that comes built-in with our blogs.

Take a look around the site and let me know what you think at mgleeson@collegefanz.com. It's a personal goal of mine to get more funny bloggers (not just cut and dry statistical bloggers) so I'm hoping we can work something out!

Mike

Thom said...

Boeheim..the thinker..."No lightbulb on right now?..power outage?" btw...you notice the lawyer adds? you put those up or did google??