Thursday, February 19, 2009

Rankings, Irrelevant Comments & More (Take 11)

Below is my 11th set of Rankings and Irrelevant Comments. To your right is my attempt to decorate this site.

RANKINGS
1. Pitt (23-2)
Best wins: Florida State, at Georgetown, Syracuse, ND, WV, at UConn
Loss: at Louisville, at Villanova

My Irrelevant Comment:
A week or so ago when I likened Pitt to a football team I thought I might have been a bit unfair. Then on Monday DeJuan Blair literally flipped Hasheem Thabeet over his shoulder. So I guess I was unfair – to football teams. Apparently the more accurate comparison is to the UCF.

2.Oklahoma (25-1)
Best Wins: Purdue, Davidson, Utah, Texas
Loss: at Arkansas

My Irrelevant Comment:
Oklahoma is ranked #2 in the Coaches Poll yet they haven’t beaten a single team currently in the top 20. I have no problem with that. You see, my alma mater, St. Bonaventure hasn’t beaten a team in the top 50. So next week . . . you gotta know what I’m thinking. Say it with me, “Bonnies are #1! Bonnies are #1!”

3.North Carolina (23-2)
Best wins: Michigan State, Notre Dame, Clemson, at Duke
Loss: Boston College, Wake Forest

My Irrelevant Comment:
The Tar Heels have lost 3 players for the season. If they go on to win the championship the unthinkable may occur – the coach of the year award being given to Roy Williams. The only thing that would then lead to my world making sense again: every other coach being given – a pink slip.

4.UConn (23-2)
Best Wins: Miami, at Gonzaga, West Virginia, Villanova, at Louisville, SU
Losses: Georgetown, Pitt

My Irrelevant Comment:
Coach Calhoun restrained himself from laying into the refs after the Pitt game. The NCAA ridiculously refuses to let coaches critique the refereeing. The only way the NCAA would allow Calhoun to voice his negative opinions is if he: shaved his head, painted his face and downed a 6-pack of Bud.

5.Memphis (23-3)
Best wins: at Gonzaga, Cincinnati, Tennessee
Losses: Xavier, Georgetown, SU

My Irrelevant Comment
Memphis’s conference, Conference USA, might not be accurately named. I mean the USA is a country where millions of people would do anything possible to try to get in. Then there’s Conference-USA, where every team that’s ever been in has tried everything possible to get out.

6.Wake Forest (19-4)
Best Wins; Baylor, BYU, UNC, at Clemson, Duke
Loss: Virginia Tech, Miami, Georgia Tech, NC State

My Irrelevant Comment:
Wake’s student section calls themselves the “Screaming Demons”. They must think they’re pretty clever. Yeah, well, wait till those kids get older. Then they’ll discover a better name for screaming demon - wife.

7. Duke (20-5)
Best Wins: Michigan, Purdue, Xavier, Georgetown
Loss: Michigan, Wake Forest, at Clemson, UNC, at BC

My Irrelevant Comment:
Tickets to see Duke at BC via Stub Hub: $125/per person.
One program for my 6-year old: $15
One stuffed Eagle for my 3 year old: $20
The cost to my psyche for not going to see BC beat Duke because I was too damn cheap:
PRICELESS.

8.Marquette (22-4)
Best Wins: Villanova, ND
Losses: Dayton, Tenn., at USF, at Villanova

Irrelevant Comment:
Marquette was named after the 17th Century explorer and missionary, Jacques Marquette. When it came time to come up with a nickname a contingent of students wanted to go with the Marquette Missionary. Ironically, the Catholics in charge took a different "position".

9.Michigan State (20-5)
Best Wins: Texas, KU, at Minn, at Ohio St. at Michigan
Losses: Maryland, UNC, NW, Penn St., at Purdue

Irrelevant Comment:
While checking the television listings last week I noticed Michigan State was on something labeled BTN. Turns out BTN stands for the Big Ten Network. Stupid me, I thought that was CBS.

10.Louisville (20-4)
Best Wins: at Villanova, Kentucky, Pitt, ND, at SU
Losses: Western Kentucky, UNLV, Minnesota, UConn, at ND

My Irrelevant Comment:
Louisville has not only lost to Western Kentucky, but just recently got blown out by a Notre Dame team that had lost 7 in a row. So why do I have then ranked 10th? That’s easy. Because I couldn’t come up with a joke for Missouri.


OTHER OPINIONS

Bill Sullivan: Notre Dame - In typical Notre Dame fan reaction, from last week's total dejection, now I cannot figure out why we are not slated for a number one seed. At least we don't overreact.

Harold Barend: Duke - Duke needs a big man who can jump. It pains me to see a 7 footer who plays with the tenacity of Mother Theresa. Despite their big man problems, I still think they will be in the final four--unless they meet Oklahoma, North Carolina, or Connecticut along with a few other teams before they get there. The way the Duke Blue Devils have been physically abused, they are fortunate to have a very respected medical facility.

Mike Wood: BC - It must be a Carolina thing (beating both NC and Duke) - they looked good and I'm very impressed with the play of Joe Trapani - the transfer from Vermont - the Singler/Trapani match-up was fun to watch. Trapani scored 19 in a loss to Wake Forest and had another big game vs Duke scoring 20 points.

Harold Barend (II): Binghamton - Binghamton University from the American East (from where do you ask) just might be in the big tourney. They are playing with a purpose and have just risen to the top of their conference. At home, the school attendance sets new records almost every game with a lot of support from the community. They could easily surprise one of the higher ranked teams--good three-point shooting, very athletic, and fast.

Pete Frey: Anybody but BC – Pete would just like everyone to know that former BC player Sean Williams was arrested once again – this time for trespassing at BC.

Harold Barend (III) - Syracuse: I was beginning to believe someone taught the big man how to shoot a free throw after he made two in a row to a standing ovation. Unfortunately the good feeling did not last. My question: Why doesn't Syracuse University hire a coach to teach how to shoot a free throw? If they already did hire someone, then they should fire the person. Have a good evening and I hope this helps.

Harold Barend (IV): Notre Dame - Notre Dame always looks good at the beginning of a game then usually allows the competition to control the second half. I have a problem buying into Harangody for Big East Player of the Year. I think he takes to many ill advised shots and he seldom sets picks or screens for his teammates. At the beginning of the game with West Virginia, I was watching a totally different Notre Dame team, cutting, screening, and shooting the lights out. Harangody made some great passes but just as quick as it began, it ended when Harangody took an off balanced 20 foot jumper. It was as if something clicked in his brain that said: "I haven't had my share of shots."

If you’d like to contribute to next weeks Rankings and Irrelevant Comments just email me your submission at davebarend@yahoo.com by Tuesday night and it’ll be up on Thursday. Next Rant coming Monday.

Take it easy,
Dave

No comments: